Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Thought of the Day- Miss me?



  Last weekend, the lady that sits in front of me at church on a regular basis turned to me and said, "I really miss you being on Facebook, especially your "thought of the day". She's a sweet lady and her husband is a nice guy who is slowly losing his ability to function in the world. He has heart and other troubles, but what I think is more difficult for her to handle is the onset of Alzheimer's he is exhibiting.

  I have to admit, sometimes when I greet him, he looks at me like he doesn't know who I am. Yes, even though I have known him since the early 90's, they had just returned from down South where he had served God and men as a church school principal. The man has a good heart. They have been back a couple of years now and I make it a point to greet him by name and ask him how he is doing and what he has been doing lately, besides going to the doctor.

  And this is my thought: what is it like to experience this? I really don't want to do so myself, at least not yet, but I'm not getting any younger. I think I need to do some research. I don't want my family to become strangers to me. I don't want to wander around lost. I don't want to wonder why, where, when or how as a matter of daily routine. I most certainly don't want anyone to "miss me".

  So the next time you think about your older relatives that are experiencing this, they are missing you, more than you know. Go see them. Greet them with, "Miss me, Dad?" You'll be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment