Thursday, October 20, 2016

Bond of brothers

(Note: I wrote this last year and never published it. It's time.)

  The other day, I thought about the term, "brother". I have decided that the it means different things in different places. As a Yankee in the South, the discovery of a whole new definition was dramatic. As a typical Yankee, I approached it with caution, it being foreign to me.

  Being from up North, the term is used for blood kin, union fellows, members of bikers' groups, other secret society members, and veterans.The most prevalent of these is, of course, our genetic brothers. Brothers of the same mothers. Those that posses a bond that can never be broken, no matter what happens. Because, we all know that things do happen and sometimes relationships between brothers are strained to the point of breaking, even though their ties cannot be.

  First of all, I want to say that this "new" brothers definition is not necessarily a subject limited to a geographical area. Why? Because I have found it to be simultaneously used in certain religious groups throughout the country. However, as I had not heard it used in this way in the North, I assumed it was limited to the South. Wrong.

  Secondly, even in the groups I have heard it used in my place of residence, it is used in many ways. For instance, a man may greet me by saying, "Hello, brother! How are you?" In this contains only a general "howdy-do", because that is how the men of this area greet one another. However, if that same man welcomes me on Sunday morning at church saying those exact words, (I shall not repeat them) then the meaning is entirely different. It, to them, connotes a bond of faith. To me, it draws an raised eyebrow of suspicion. That's right. But, don't get me wrong here. I love every one of them. But the reason this Yankee somehow doesn't trust this is because he knows himself.

  I say this because I share, like these brothers, the same traits. We are all sinners. We all posses that same quality. Therefore, we all should posses a certain level of suspicion of each other. Some men have a high level, some like me, have a low level, being somewhat naive', or trusting to a fault. But being called a brother before I know a person sends up red-flags for me. What about you, Brother?  

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sending this to me.

    I agree in many cases. I know that I am certainly a sinner, and I am trying to follow a path of humble righteousness (as I am certain you are) but more than that, I know that I can only try because of the justification that we have so graciously been granted in Christ's body and blood. But knowing my sins, and stewing on them and worrying about them, hiding from them, and hating them...I am naturally suspicious of all other men. When I grow to know those men well, I may remain suspicious of their humanity, but I also know that if they are in Christ's family, they are in my family, and I forgive them as He would because I know that we can not escape our humanity.

    Now I absolutely must say this; you calling me brother would not and does not raise an eyebrow because even after 3.5 years being gone from Tennessee, you and Sherrine(SP?) are still like family to me and will always will be. You are my brother and sister, in Christ and also in human friendship.

    We are 100% sinner and, thanks be to God, 100% saint because of His sacrifice.

    Your Brother in Christ, always.
    Erik

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erik, so glad to hear from you, especially on such a personal level here. It has become more difficult to see someone as brother in the world these days, especially from a work point of view and I suppose I should have mentioned that further in my blog. I see so many guys running around with fish symbols on their work trucks or Christian names for their companies, then they call you brother when they shake your hand and stab you in the back when it comes time for payment. I see it too often and it only creates suspicion like you said and total lack of trust in tradesmen that do business that way. But men at church, I try to size up as quickly as possible, in order that the church, not me, is made safer from discord. Once you get to know a guy, a brother in Christ is usually one for life, unless of course the devil takes them down a path that destroys them. It's tough these days, brother, both in and out of the church. God bless you as always. Greet the family in the name of the Lord.

    ReplyDelete