Saturday, October 15, 2016

In the Garden




  Last night, in the twilight of the evening and amidst the trees of a country setting, I attended the wedding of a wonderful man and woman. The rain had left us and the slight breeze made it cool, but not difficult to sit outside, in the canopy of white lights and scrub oaks, slowly loosing their leaves. However, the setting, although it reminded me of a God-tailored event as in the days of Adam and Eve, was secondary this time once my friend Pastor Peter Ave-Lallamant got started with the ceremony.

  Pete had a lot to work with. I've seen him do weddings before, as he was my pastor for almost a decade and he can do wonders with weddings. Truly, he can. But in this case, the participants made all of the difference in making their wedding one you were glad to have attended.

  I've known Heidi for over twenty years. She's the daughter of two of my best friends from church. She has struggled in her life, but I believe she has always remained positive in much of the turmoil and has turned to God in order to survive the heartbreak and loss. Mixed in this, she had a little girl I watched grow up in the back pew. She'd stare at me and I'd make her smile back there, shy as she was back then. She's a young woman now and we are all proud of and love her; her new step-dad, Nick, told her so during the ceremony.

  Ah, Nick. I've known him for almost as many days as Heidi, (she says 900 some days) and all I have ever observed is a man wise enough to take the bait and marry this God-fearing woman, and taking on the role of Dad for Rylie. He is a match for them made in heaven. So let's go back to the beginning.

  Pastor Pete had a lot to work with and the vows I heard proclaimed all of the above and much more. God bless this new family who began in the garden prepared for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment