Friday, February 11, 2011

Proper names. Larkin the "Protagonist".

  I was in church one Sunday as I began my work on Curse of the Eraser. I had not thought of a name for the main character of the novel. In fact, knowing that it had to be something out of the norm and something memorable, I was struggling with a proper name for the protagonist. A woman from Iowa was there visiting as she had moved to our fair city and was looking for a place to worship. She introduced her children to me and herself of course. Her husband was back in Iowa. I asked her his name, "Larkin", she replied.

  As soon as I heard it I knew. That was going to be "the" name. I had never heard it before. It is as uncommon of a name as "Fiebiger" is, I'm sure. In fact, I've looked online for the name, Larkin Palmer, and yes, there are a couple. That's it. Two. Regardless of this, it had a certain ring to it. Kind of like, "Harry Potter". Larkin Palmer. So I ran with it or him.

  I could tell you all about this young man from New York state, but that would ruin the whole thing. Instead, I suggest that you keep your interest up and now that you know the name of the protagonist, you wait until such time as you can meet him in print someday. I'll let you know when that will be!   

No comments:

Post a Comment