Saturday, February 26, 2011

Old suits and Funerals

  As I retrieved my suit out of the closet today to attend the funeral of Janice, I looked at it and smiled, even at this time of great sadness. I held the suit up and looked at its condition as I had not done that before. I figured it is now about seven years since I bought a new one, remembering I bought it before I went to my nephew's wedding and participate by reading from 1 Corinthians the 13th chapter. My nephew's oldest daughter is about six now, I think. Time marches on and suits get older, and threadbare, and just plain wore out.

  Such it is with these "suits" we wear here on earth. At the funeral, the congregation confirmed the fact that, indeed, these mantels of God's creation do wear out. They do return to dust from which they came. They do not last. However, for those in Christ like my friend Janice, we shall receive a new body, a new suit, all because of the merits of Jesus Christ and His love for us. This day, Janice wears her new suit and I look forward to seeing her in it. As for me, I'll just wait with this old suit I wear.

  That's what makes me smile on the day of a funeral of a friend.   

Next: The New World Order.  (Yes, it will be.) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment