Sunday, February 20, 2011

The Loss of a Friend- Janice Keck

  Previously, I blogged that I'd be telling you all about the New World Order. However, something happened today that has changed all of that. I lost a friend. One that had inspired me, helped me to apply myself and motivated me- a friend named, Janice Keck, the director of the Williamson County Library.

  I met Janice at a Council for the Written Word Saturday meeting. They, or should I say "we", as I am a member now, contribute in the promotion of the art and craft of being an author in our fair county and try to be a support and help for authors, much like me. Janice sat next to me the first meeting I attended. She asked me about my work and showed me that she cared about not only the things I had written, but that she cared about- me. That is a rare quality nowadays. That quality seeped out of Janice's pores and permeated the entire room when she was present. When she was there in the room, everyone knew it. Her mere presence commanded that from everybody and she deserved it. She cared.

  I spoke with her on the phone this past Thursday. She had invited me to be a nominee for the position of Trustee on the Board. I was both delighted and humbled by her requested. She sent me the application to fill out that day. I still have it on my desk. I don't know whether to fill it out or not. Somehow that doesn't seem to matter, because she told me that I would have been one of her bosses. Now, I would miss that opportunity to be so, but more importantly, get to know her better. For that, I am saddened.

  What strikes me as ironic and a bit of self fulfilling prophecy, is the rest of our conversation. She wanted to know how my book was coming along. I told her it was completed and in front of a publisher and an agent or two. She was glad and asked if I were working on anything. I told her I was and into the sequel about sixteen chapters. In that she encouraged me and told me to keep up the good work, for she believed in me. I changed the subject and I asked if our relationship would be a long one there and I asked if she would ever retire from her position. She replied, "Not unless something happens that would allow me to. I'll be there until I die." How true were her words.

  Rest in peace dear friend...

No comments:

Post a Comment