Thursday, August 8, 2013

My First Book



  Up until today, I had tried to keep from posting anything but COTE (Curse of the Eraser) related blogs here on Eraser Blogger. But, this event is just too big, too exciting, too mind-blowing for me to not share with you. Today, I received a proof copy of my soon to be released book, The Baker and Malachi.

  Only other authors know how this feels. To have in your hands a fresh copy, printed on actual paper, with a cover that you helped design and imagine. Ah- the smell of ink on paper and the smooth shiny glimmer of your name on the bottom corner of the cover. Actually, I never thought it would happen.

  Years ago, I read a book by Paul Maccabee called, "John Dillinger slept here". A wonderful compilation of little known actual historical events, he certainly did his homework and impressed me so much, I felt inspired to pick up the keyboard and put something down on paper myself. It was just a story. A funny little tale of the things I like myself- donuts, history and St. Paul. So, I went with it.

  I gave The Baker and Malachi to a friend of mine with a degree in journalism. I think I must have bugged her enough to read it, but when she finally did finish, she liked it. She said I should keep writing. At first, I didn't take her seriously, but then I thought, 'Why not?' After a couple of years, I hammered out COTE.

   But, let me digress. I never thought I'd ever publish anything, especially in the current publishing environment. Everyone I showed COTE gave me a thumbs-down. (I will publish it. I'm determined to get out the whole of the four book series!) So I said to myself, 'Self, you need to back track and publish that cute little story you started with.' Thanks to the two Susans that have encouraged me, that is what I hold in my hands. Susan Anderson and Susan Catalano- I thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment